2021 ASHG Awards
The award nomination form for 2021 ASHG professional awards closed on April 29, 2021. After the submission deadline, the ASHG Awards Committee reviews all nominations, which are ultimately approved by the ASHG Board of Directors. Nominees and nominators will be notified of their nomination’s status in late summer 2021 and public announcement of award recipients will follow soon after.
We invite you to join your fellow members in celebrating outstanding science and its applications for the common good. A total of $85,000 in awards are available, and winners are also invited to give an address at the ASHG Annual Meeting.
ASHG recognizes the broad diversity of our field (scientific specialty, career level, geographic location, race/ethnicity, gender, and other facets of diversity). We strongly encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity to honor those deserving individuals who have contributed so much to our field.
Who can submit a nomination?
Any ASHG member, regardless of career stage, membership type, or experience with the Society. You may submit more than one nomination.
Who can be nominated?
Any ASHG member. Non-member nominations are permitted for the Advocacy Award only. See below for qualifications and criteria for each award. Unsure of someone's membership status? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to have ready for a nomination submission:
- You may begin the application form, save and exit, and complete the form any time before the April 22 deadline.
- You will be asked to provide:
- Basic nominee information: institution, professional area of expertise
- Copy of nominee’s curriculum vitae (CV)
- A letter of nomination describing why the nominee is qualified for the award (500 words maximum)
- At least one (1) and up to three (3) supporting statements (each 500 words maximum) from others who are familiar with the nominee’s contributions
- At least one reference must be an ASHG member
- You will submit a word or PDF of each letter with your nomination
- Two (2) supporting statements are required for the Mentorship Award
- Confirmation that, to your knowledge, the nominee has behaved consistently with the standards articulated in the current ASHG Code of Ethics. All nominees will be informed of professional conduct expectations for awards
An ASHG Portal login is required to access the nomination submission site. This is the same login used to join/renew as an ASHG member. If you do not have a ASHG Portal login, you may create a new account after clicking on the green button below and selecting the appropriate option.
Description of Awards
Click each to learn more about the qualifications and criteria for each award.
Advocacy Award — honors individuals or groups of individuals who have exhibited excellence and achievement in promoting the science of human genetics and its application for the common good.
Arno Motulsky-Barton Childs Award for Excellence in Human Genetics Education — recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions to human genetics education.
Curt Stern Award — recognizes remarkable scientific achievements in human genetics that have occurred during the last 10 years. The awardee’s work should have had a demonstrable impact on the scientific direction of the field and/or other scientists.
Early-Career Award — recognizes early-career scientists who have made contributions during the first decade as an independent investigator.
Mentorship Award — recognizes individuals at all academic ranks who have a significant record of accomplishment as a mentor and demonstrated a sustained pattern of exemplary mentorship.
William Allan Award — the top prize given by ASHG. It recognizes individuals who have made substantial and far-reaching scientific contribution to human genetics, carried out over a sustained period of inquiry and productivity.
Please note, the application and selection process for the Charles J. Epstein Awards, Victor McKusick Leadership Award, Developing Country Awards, and C.W. Cotterman Award are not solicited through this form. For more information on these awards, visit ashg.org/membership/awards.
After the submission deadline, the ASHG Awards Committee reviews all nominations, which are ultimately approved by the ASHG Board of Directors.
For questions about the ASHG awards nomination process, contact Amanda Olsen, Governance & Executive Operations Manager, at email@example.com.