Call for Applications and Nominations to Serve on the 2023 ASHG Board of Directors
The application will open January 27, 2022.
Deadline: March 15, 2022. at 11:59 pm US ET
ASHG is committed to ensuring that the composition of its leadership reflect the diversity of our membership, and believe that a diverse leadership structure provides the variety of perspectives and ideas needed to develop high-quality programs.
ASHG strongly encourages applications (self-nominations) in addition to the nomination of colleagues. Applications and nominations will be reviewed by the Nominating Committee and Executive Committee, with a slate of candidates presented to ASHG members for election in June 2021.
Positions open in 2023:
- President (1 vacancy): The President will serve a one-year term as President-Elect (2023), a one-year term as President (2024), and a one-year term as Past President (2025).
- Directors (4 vacancies): Directors will serve a three-year term from January 2023 through December 2025.
- Note: The Trainee and Early-Career Director positions are not open this year
Click here for detailed roles and responsibilities of Board members.
- Current ASHG membership (both applicants and nominators must be current members)
- Substantial leadership and volunteer experience on boards and committees; experience on ASHG committees is a plus
- Knowledge of ASHG’s mission, purpose, goals, policies, programs, services, strengths, and needs
- Follow science, research and genetics and genomics trends
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Good oral and written communication skills
What’s on the application/nomination form?
- You may begin the application form, save and exit, and complete the form any time before the March 14 deadline.
- You will be asked:
- basic candidate information: institution, professional area of expertise
- a cover letter describing why you or the candidate are interested in serving, including qualifications (max. 500 words)
- to answer the following question: What, in your view, are the most critical issues facing ASHG and the human genetics community? (max. 250 words)
- to provide a copy of a curriculum vitae (CV) or NIH biosketch
- Confirmation that, to your knowledge, the nominee has behaved consistently with the standards articulated in the professional conduct standards of the current ASHG Code of Ethics.
You must to log into your ASHG Portal account to access the submission form. This is the same login if you have recently joined/renewed as an ASHG member. If you forgot your password, reset your ASHG Portal password. Upon login, you will be asked to give the nomination system permission to access your ASHG account information.
After the submission deadline, the Nominating Committee will review all nominations and will determine the final ballot in accordance with the ASHG Bylaws. The Nominating Committee, with support from the Executive Committee, creates a slate of potential Board members that reflects the Society’s value of diversity in its leadership, as defined by scientific background, professional level, ancestry, gender and other demographic information. The Committee also considers other variables of representation, including commitment, involvement with ASHG, and relevant expertise in the human genetics and genomics community.
Elections for the 2023 Board of Directors
The election will open in June 2022 and close in July 2022.
Once a slate is composed, an election takes place. Per the ASHG Bylaws, at least two (2) candidates are required to be put forth for each director position and one (1) candidate is required to be presented for the president-elect position. ASHG is working with vendor partner ElectionBuddy to administer this year's election.
For questions about the ASHG application and nominations process, contact Amanda Fulk, Governance & Executive Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.