Trainee Leadership Opportunities
Applications for 2019 positions are now closed. The deadline for applications and recommendation letters was Wednesday, May 23, 2018.
The American Society of Human Genetics invites trainee members (defined as undergraduate students and individuals completing various levels of post-baccalaureate training in human genetics or allied fields) to contribute to the Society's leadership by serving on ASHG committees or the ASHG Board of Directors. Trainees in these positions are expected to be full, engaged committee/Board members and to fully embrace the responsibilities of their position. Please see the descriptions of responsibilities below, and consider reaching out to current trainee leaders to find out more.
Please note: ASHG is transitioning to a new system for the Trainee Leadership Opportunities process. To submit an application, you will need to create a new account using the link in the left-hand menu of the system. This is distinct from the username and password you may have created earlier this week for the ASHG Web Portal and membership form. This is only for 2018 and these accounts will be integrated in the future.
We are looking to fill the following vacancies:
Communications Committee (1 vacancy): The Communications Committee is responsible for providing recommendations on, and assisting with the implementation of, communication and public relations efforts related to ASHG programs.
Program Committee (1 vacancy): The Program Committee (PC) is responsible for organizing the scientific program of the annual meeting, which is the keystone activity of ASHG.
Training and Development Committee (3 vacancies): The Training and Developing Committee is responsible for recommending and carrying out the activities concerned with the career/professional development and other needs of ASHG’s trainee members.
- You must be an ASHG trainee member at the time you apply. Join or renew before you apply.
- You must be either working toward a terminal degree (e.g., MS, MD, PhD), or have received your terminal degree within the last three years.
- International applicants are eligible and encouraged to apply.
- No prior committee experience required.
- a CV
- a statement of your interest in serving on the committee you are applying for
- two long-form answers for questions specific to the committee you are applying for
- two recommendations from senior colleagues, one of which MUST be from an ASHG member; recommendation forms will be sent directly to your identified references when you submit your application; references will be asked to comment on the following:
- Please describe the applicant's leadership skills and potential, including his/her previous experience with professional and/or volunteer service
- How will the applicant's interests and experience further the mission of the committee he/she is applying to?
Please contact Kanika Pulliam, PhD, Senior Manager, Education & Career Development Programs, at email@example.com with any questions.